CompTIA A+ Certification
Competencies of CompTIA A+ certification for an entry-level IT Technician
CompTIA A+ certifications certify the set of skill and knowledge required for an entry-level IT Technician, which includes repairing and assembling a computer, install and configure system software and application software, maintenance and troubleshooting of computer network, ensure the safety and security of data, having required knowledge of cloud computing and so on. It is also expected that CompTIA A+ certified individuals’ possess practical communication skills to assist both technical and non-technical individuals.
Individuals who are new at starting their careers as IT professionals may consider CompTIA A+ certification an appropriate starting point for their career and learning process. Followings are some key reasons to consider CompTIA A+ certifications as a practical starting for new IT professionals:
- There is no prerequisite for CompTIA A+ certifications.
- This certification confirms that the individual has enough potential to work as an IT technician.
- CompTIA A+ is a globally accepted certification program for entry-level IT Technicians professionals.
- Different and diversified entry-level IT jobs require CompTIA A+ certification.
- CompTIA A+ certification is a pathway for other globally recognized vendor certification exams offered by Microsoft, HP, Cisco, IBM, and Novell.
A significant number of online learning portals are available with adequate resources to get prepared for the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
CompTIA A+ certification skill measures
- Having basic knowledge about computer hardware, software, data security/privacy, and computer networking.
- Be able to identify peripheral devices of a computer and network devices.
- Familiar with the uses of different types of data storage and backup media.
- Capable of identifying and troubleshooting the types of a computer motherboard.
- Ensure the safety and security of data stored on the computer.
- Possess practical communication skills with colleagues and clients.
- Be able to install and configure different operating systems like Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, etc.
- Be able to assemble a computer and install the input-output devices like keyboard, printer, scanner, mouse, etc.
- Have adequate knowledge and experience in troubleshooting computer and networking devices.
Details about CompTIA A+ Certification exams
To become a CompTIA A+ certified professional, you must appear for two exams and pass successfully. Those exams are:
- CompTIA A+ Essentials (exam code: 200 – 901).
- CompTIA A+ Practical Application Exam (exam code: 220 – 902).
- There will be performance-based, multiple-choice, and drag-and-drop questions you have to answer.
- The duration of each exam is 1 hour 30 minutes.
- You have to answer a maximum of 90 questions for each exam.
- You have to pay £155 for the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
- Each exam carries 900 marks. You have to score 675 out of 900 to pass CompTIA A+ Essentials and 700 out of 900 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application Exam.
- The CompTIA A+ certification will remain valid for three years once you pass the exam.
- There is no particular prerequisite for the CompTIA A+ certification exam, except you have a good preparation for the exam to score the pass mark.
You will find several online portals with the required learning resources to prepare for the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
Job opportunities for CompTIA A+ certified professionals
- Help Desk Technician
- Computer System Support Technician
- IT Security Specialist
- IT Support Technician
- Database Administrator
- Network Administrator
CompTIA A+ related certifications
Some other certification programs are not the same but similar in comparison to CompTIA A+ related certifications. Some of such certifications are:
- Cisco CCNA certification
- CompTIA Network+ certification
- Microsoft MCSA certification
- CompTIA Security+ certification
- CompTIA Linux+ certification
Salary structure of CompTIA A+ certified professionals
- CompTIA A+ certified professionals £44,350
- CompTIA Server+ £47,355
- CompTIA Network+ £47,355
- CompTIA Project+ £50,363
- CompTIA Linux+ £52,618
- CompTIA Security+ £54,120
- CompTIA CTT+ £55,625
- CompTIA Cloud+ £55,625
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) £63,140